blablabla


1/03/2022

Note to a Friend

I'd like to think that the death of someone you deeply cared about shouldn't go unnoticed by the rest of the universe. I could never understand how life could just go on, cruelly, relentlessly, after a beloved person's death. How can it be, that something, that causes you the most excruciating sense of pain and loss, is simply brushed over by the universe, mother of all things. It seems as though the universe marches on and on, not taking any note of its participants. 

I'd hope to think there's something different after a person's death, a detail, something only we, as grieving humans miss, because we're so caught up in our suffering, we're not paying any attention. We're not looking towards that one star that is flickering in the evening sky. Or the one tree, that stands leafless and bald between its overgrown brothers, because it shed all its leaves in summer. So I'd like to believe it is there. A shift, a reminiscence, a difference. Something odd, a glitch, something that stands out. It has to be there. We're just not looking.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Dana... this spoke to my heart. The idea of death being, plain and simple, the end... Just the end. It saddens me beyond words. It doesn't frighten me. If that is the case, then I'll be unaware. But the thought of never seeing the people I've loved with an immeasurable love ever again? Yeah. It's insult enough when the world just keeps on turning, indifferent to human loss.

    ReplyDelete