blablabla


8/11/2012

Six-Sentence-Sunday 8/12

http://sixsunday.com/


Looksie here, it's a new dawn. It's a new day. Sunday! Today I want to introduce you to some of my more recent scribblings. They are called --->Shorts! (..with an exclamation point - because they are just outrageously short short stories) and you'll find them on my blog. The point of these Shorts! is to write a story that begins as close to the end as possible - this one needed 17 sentences in total, and you can look up how it ends  --->here
These are the first six sentences of The Long Run.
Looking forward to reading your comments and criticisms! :)


The Long Run


He paused and looked at her, "What else is there to say?"

What needed to be said had been said, and it was he who had done most of the talking. Her body and mouth remained still, except for the one silent nod she gave him.

He didn’t need to wait for her response;

she didn’t put up a fight. 

She looked away, far across the lot of picket fences, and her gaze pierced right through the suburban Arcadia, to that other place her mind went sometimes. 

There was a time when their life had been nimble, when smiles were just smiles, not crooked strains, when every small occurrence seemed like a riddle for them to understand in their later years – a time when they would be wise and knowledgeable regarding all things life.

15 comments:

  1. Over all I really like the sadness in this scene and think you've got a the start of something great. The only part I'm not sure of is your third sentence. The first half feels natural, but the back half feels wordy. Is it possible that for you to lose the part about the suggested shrug? Just a friendly suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, thanks for your suggestion! Wordy is always bad, and I'm glad you spoke up! I wasn't sure about it either, so I'll take it out. Let's see how this flows then..

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's much better now! Good instincts, Jess! :)

      Delete
  2. I read the linked piece. It does such a fantastic job of conveying the end of a marriage without actually saying that is what it is. Ha! At least that's what I took it to mean. The end--the marathon...so perfect. So many times we just keep moving in a direction because it's the way we are accustomed to moving. The piece epitomizes, "Stay the course"...yep, mindlessly stay the course. :-)

    The short short is such a good exercise for writing succinctly. Hmmm... I might need to write a few of them. Might do me some good.

    Nice six. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what this is about, I'm happy and relieved the message came through! Phew! I think much like that one-sentence synopsis we sweated over in the challenge, this (actually Vonnegut-inspired) exercise may help me see which elements are important and actually necessary to create... something! Hah! ;)
      I don't think you "need" it though, and I certainly wouldn't do it myself if it wasn't in some weird way entertaining! :)
      Thanks for commenting and stopping by, hugs and lots of!

      Delete
  3. Very poetic and melancholy. Surely this is the end of a relationship that had long stopped working. Lovely six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed even more with every word you write. The way you say things makes me swoon! You have a way of making tragedy beautiful. That's the best way I can describe it.

    Your number 1 fan!

    Great Six. I'm going to stalk the full version of this story now and share you on facebook. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel, thank you for saying those nice words. This is such high praise coming from you, I'm shaken. I can't tell you enough how happy I am that we met in the bloggosphere! Oh, such a boost of confidence, my head gets bigger by the minute! I think I'm going to stalk you stalking me, if you don't mind! :)

      Delete
  5. I love how much is conveyed through body language here. Very sweet, sad six.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last sentence just tore at my heart. Beautifully written. Excellent six. Thank you for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for reading them, Silver, and letting them tear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So powerful and full of emotion! Beautiful six!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maryellen, I'm glad you liked it. :)

      Delete