blablabla


5/26/2012

Six-Sentence-Sunday 5/27

Yesterday while I was doodling Magister's Clearing on my little travel map (with a flashy pen and my tongue sticking out), I had an idea for my story.

My grandparents once owned this beautiful house in the southern, rural parts of Germany, and the house, as it is local tradition, has an epigram on the front, carved in wood.

Theirs roughly translates as Diligence will be rewarded by God and shows the patron saint for craftspeople, St. Josef on a work bench.



Then I thought: spiritual messages on houses, that might be neat! So for my story, I wrote an epigram (a bit longer) for the house of Mages. I'm interested in your response.

These are patron saint Aune's words addressed to the living planets and my contribution to this week's Sunday Six:
________________________________________________________________________________

Aune, Patron Saint of Instigation

Rise up, all you stars and orbs
Set out to change their course for good
For the winds are in your favor
As you are source, and they are life.

You let them have their way 
too long.
So go now, throw them 
off their tracks.

Be inconspicuous and obscure
Encircle and entice them
And lull them 
to their sleeps..

Then lunge and flare up
forcefully
And let them wither
Make them burn.
For you are the familiar
and they have gone astray.

8 comments:

  1. I'm quite surprised that more paranormal novels don't include epigram's as part of their stories, they can be used for so many things, including plot hints and character insight. I quite liked yours. I really enjoyed the fact that you turned it into a poetry instead of settling for a single word. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess, I'm relieved, I was a bit worried. :) I think you're right, an epigram could be a great instrument to naturally reveal something about culture or belief systems, maybe it would even work well in a fantasy movie. Glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  2. Great idea! Very ominous message in the poem... but intriguing too, it makes me curious to see how this fits within your story thematically. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we'll see how this plays out next Sunday - thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

      Delete
  3. That's awesome! I've always shied away from doing something like this (in spite of writing sci-fi/fantasy) because it's so difficult to do well. This is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank god, I am always a bit nervous to post anything "poetry" as well, because it's so serious and loaded with meaning, and impossible to distance yourself from, once it's out there, in the universe. :)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic, Dana! I love it. Ominous...holy cow--ominous! Has my wheels turning. You may have a trend started ;-) Great six. Good job :-) And I love that you explained from where the idea sprung. How neat that your grandparents' had that on their home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, thank you! Tee-hee, trendsetting, that's what we writers do, hey, granted, you could also call it "idea stealing", but it sounds much better that way ;)

      I was lucky to have those good people as my grandparents, and I miss them. I loved their house so much, it's surrounded by woodland, where I spent many summers as the only girl amongst 8 cousins.. good times :)

      Delete