blablabla


3/03/2012

Sam Harris: Free Will Revisited

Sam Harris' new book "Free Will" is coming out next week, and it has already stirred a passionate debate amongst believers and non-believers all over the world. The subject Free Will versus Determinism, while being a topic of conversation ever since the dawn of mankind (or let's say: the times of Marcus Aurelius), still is the recipe for turmoil. I already read horrible comments on Facebook, things I'd like to forget as quickly as possible. The loudest of the bunch are as expected the ones who oppose Harris thesis of Free Will being an illusion. They tend to believe other things to be true, like heavenly guidance for example - and don't seem to have any problem accepting these ideas, while all those others, supplying a more solid scientific backbone are quickly ruled out as "suspect". I don't get it. 

Why do we have such problems accepting the concept of Determinism, when it is there in front of us, showing its teeth?


Sam Harris' book is called Free Will











Firstly, there is something you have to know about me: I once was a firm believer in Free Will as well, fiery at times, and the feeling endured, until my years at university crushed all my metaphysical hopes and dreams. Confronted with the scientific method, I felt like I was hit with a powerful antidote, thus pulling me out of a haze. The coffin nail for the whole concept was an advanced seminar in philosophy - it was called Towards a Theory of Thinking. It covered everything and everyone from Descartes' dualism to David Hume's compatibilism to Daniel Dennett's intentional stance, and it highly shattered any hope in Free Will that may have been left at that point. 

As the realization first kicked in, I remember fighting back (how dare they..!) but when my attempts to deny the whole thing failed, I surrendered. Does it sound completely lame if I tell you that it changed my life for the better? And that it, on further reflection, actually freed me immensely?

Determinism comes to terms with the vital parts of the human condition, and while it may not make us feel like the glorious climactic scene of a stage play called "Creation" at first, I think it's much better to accept the facts than to hope for the conveyed comfort of an illusion.

I feel liberated, because knowing what I am and am not accountable for in life is a great thing. Doing things "right" isn't my accomplishment, but to the same extent is doing things "wrong" not my fault either. I know, this will repel all those people who believe in (legal) culpability, guilt and a penal system that wants to punish wrong-doing more than it aims to protect the general public from those who do. But what does that say about us? 

We'd like to think that we are morally responsible for choosing the "right" thing, we want to be rewarded for not violating the law, implying that all those criminals in jails consciously decided to violate laws. I don't think so. And here come the church bells: There is no indication for active decision-making in the brain. It looks like what we perceive as moments of choice are already pre-determined selections, not offered by the conscious part of our brain. The reason why the decision between pizza or pasta feels free, is because our conscious minds buy in the pretense of choice. It feels free to us. But it's, again, not our conscious selves deciding what to eat - it's blood sugar level, hormones, nutrient agents, force of habit and a myriad of other factors we don't even know about - because they don't make an appearance on our mental horizon.

What does it matter? We will always want the things we "chose", regardless of how they originated or who chose them, the "will" part remains intact. To my conscious self, there is no difference in telling how the decision came into being. 


"Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Kansas anymore."
Our reward-oriented brain is the one that thrives to blame and punish other people's infringements - and indirectly rewards its own "conformity" (again, not an achievement) by doing so - carving in stone what is right and wrong in the process. If we could change our view in judging right and wrong not as universal moral choices, but societal agreements on how to behave - to preserve the right to live amongst society - we would be at a much more human level. But to get there, we must first of all, be willing to accept that certain things we want to believe about ourselves are not true.

 "I cannot take credit for the fact that I do not have the soul of a psychopath." (Sam Harris)

Allow yourself to think about this for a minute or two, and don't worry, even if you find yourself being

  • ...afraid of offending the bearded guy upstairs by thinking outside the book.
  • ...sad, because there is no praise for something we have no influence on.
  • ...liberated, because there is no scolding for something we have no influence on.
  • ...angry, because our conscious self is not in charge.
  • ...unimportant, because the mind is not a metaphysical enclave within the body.
  • ...offended, because I wrote this post.

Trust me, that's all completely normal. :)


Sam Harris "Free Will" on Amazon

10 comments:

  1. Sam Harris does feel that free will is mostly an illusion. I believe we can make choices, but seldom freely. In my (free) ebook, "the greatest achievement in life," is a chapter called "Outside the box." Here are three paragraphs from it:

    What if you had to make all your decisions about living while detained in a jail cell? The cells may be open for brief periods each day, but the prisoners are still surrounded by walls. There are also walls around cells of everyday life. We are restricted by our ability to control our emotions, mind and body. Even with full command of our “self,” we must live within the restraints of Nature and society. Freedom is relative.

    “Free will” is really quite limited, despite belief that we control ourselves and our lives. We think we have endless choices...until we try to make them. Each decision must not only be based on what we “want to do,” but also on our own capabilities and what is expected of us. Nature and society imprison us, whether we like it or not. The key to release is mystical realization. All in One and One in All, the divine unity, opens the gate between a universal consciousness and most people’s constrained awareness.

    Outer walls are the boxes of Nature and of society. Inclement weather, lack of sunlight, gravity, and/or other natural phenomena may restrain our movements. Our own natural aptitudes, practiced talents and learned skills are always lacking in some areas. Human nature is controlled mostly by society. What we believe that other people expect of us greatly influences how we feel, think and act. Considering the reactions of our family, friends, business associates, community, and/or nation determines much of what we do. Those “laws” of Nature and society govern our lives, usually more so than we wish. Mystical awareness can allow us to obey divine law here and now.

    Sam Harris wrote "“I see nothing irrational about seeking the states of mind that lie at the core of many religions. Compassion, awe, devotion and feelings of oneness are surely among the most valuable experiences a person can have.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniela, I am adding that to my reading list. My goodness, you are a deep thinker. :-) And that is a good thing--I think. I have no argument for what you have set forth in this post. I find it quite fascinating, in fact.

    Ron...your comments are an interesting addition to Daniela's post. I will check out your book.

    Daniela, are you on Goodreads? Can you access it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, where is your book available? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, my ebook is at www.suprarational.org/gail2012.pdf and it is free. 20 religious leaders and scholars reviewed the manuscript prior to posting it on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa, my ebook is at www.suprarational.org/gail2012.pdf and it is free. 20 religious leaders and scholars reviewed the manuscript prior to posting it on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will check it out, Ron. Thanks for getting back to me about it. :-)

      Delete
  6. Teresa, thanks for stopping by and commenting :) No, I'm not on Goodreads yet, but I think it would be a reasonable thing to join the club. :)

    *I just checked it out. I'm always a bit of a chicken when it comes to granting those apps access to my likes, friends likes etc. Did you sign up with your facebook account?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Daniela, I did. I had to think about it...but I must have used facebook because it does post to my facebook wall my reading progress when I update the status on the books I am currently reading.

      I have "The Curse of Chalion" slated for this week. I have to finish one current book and I am 50% through it. Whew! I am excited. It will be a cool switch to read a true master. I have been reading debut novels. Some have been pretty good...and some, well...I have been unable to finish. The stories just did not hold my interest.

      Delete
    2. Ok, I think I'll finally sign up to Goodreads;
      chicken - be gone! :)
      I simply can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Curse of Challion. I hope I'll get to finish with the "A Song of Ice and Fire" cycle one day - preferred in this lifetime (800+ pages per volume), *sighs* before HBO catches up with me or I grow a beard just like George R.R. Martin. But it's so good, I'm actually jealous. That rarely ever happens to me.
      One minute I am enjoying the powerful writing, while in the next, I am thinking....bastard.
      By the way, it's so great you have become a professional book critic, and dealing with "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" on a daily basis must be a real source of wisdom, right? Do you publish all of your reviews on amazon?

      Delete
  7. I love "The Curse of Challion"! I am at 58%. My Kindle is recharging right now or I would be reading more of it. I will be working at the microscope all day tomorrow. but the test in quantitative so it requires little thought. Some days are like that. :-) So, my Kindle will read all day to me tomorrow. Ha! I used to dread hemacytometer day, but now I am looking forward to it. I never have it read to me when I am doing qualitative testing, or other work that requires thought ;-)

    I didn't know what to expect from Challlion. You must have my reading tastes nailed. Knights, Ladies, court intrigue, swords, bastards, liars, ancient faiths and magic. *sigh* it has it all :-) Thank you for the recommendation!

    I am so excited about Game of Thrones returning to TV! I have not read the books. :-) "The Hunger Games" big screen movie releases happens here in 10 days. I am looking forward to that one, too.

    The Amazon reviews? I have just started to post them. And I think I left one on Goodreads--a book titled, "Losing Beauty" by Johanna Garth. Excellent story. It was her debut by the same Indie Publisher my book will be released through. It was inspired by the story of Hades and Persephone.

    It is a source of wisdom. It certainly teaches me--when I ponder what made a book resonate with me, and what didn't work in a book. :-)

    ReplyDelete