blablabla


1/27/2013

Six Sentence Sunday: Farewell



What a bittersweet Sunday this is, the departure from our beloved Six Sentence Sunday. It has been a heck of a ride. A big thank you to the organizers and all the hard work and effort they put in to make SSS a unique opportunity for writers and fans of writing, as well as a wonderful Sunday tradition. For this special occasion I'll share the very same excerpt, the first excerpt I ever posted for Six Sentence Sunday, including six sentences from Spellbloom, the epic fantasy adventure, and my first unfinished novel ever. Yay! ;) Have a great Sunday!

 


She came to realize that Nian and his friends truly were the voiceless of this world, dispossessed and completely stripped of their rights as human beings. As she thought about the inequity of the very system she was about to become a part of, her strides turned into furious stomps.
They reached the grove at noon and found a shady site amidst the trees where Kaley leaned against a mighty stem. Her feet were sore from walking, and she felt the bark clinging to her from behind, providing some much needed relief to her back. 
Nian sat down across from her, huddling up against a bulky stub of a tree. He didn't look tired, just hungry, and once again Kaley marvelled at his resilience against physical strain. 



I'm not very good at drawing, but that never stopped me from sketching all the major waypoints. This is where Kaley and Nian will be going next. 



7 comments:

  1. this is so good, Dana. Has this excerpt been reworked since your first posting? It looks like you've matured as a writer over the course of SSS. Very nice six!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited this part since the first time I posted, so this is a rework. You know, for me there is no greater compliment than the one you just gave me. Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  2. I like this--it's succinct without being bare bones, emotional without being maudlin. The drawing is neat too. I always like to peek inside how other writers work, what they do to help bring their stories alive even for themselves. I think we have a bunch of similarities; it'll be a pleasure collaborating with you on WeWriWa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, thanks! This was the first story I ever wrote, and in a way, it is my most ambitious attempt at contemporary fantasy. I hope that some day I'll finish it. I'm very glad we met, Owly. WeWriWa! Hoot! :)

      Delete
    2. P.S. I had to look up the word maudlin in the dictionary! Thank you for broadening my horizons. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Teresa, I think you've grown and developed since blogging your snippets. I love your word selection in this snippet. You have every right to be very proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, you were an important part of that process, with your insightful feedback and spot-on advice during SSSundays. Thank you! :)

      Delete